This is a simple recipe I adapted from one I found online when looking for something to cook using black beans.
Black beans are a rich source of iron, which is important for people like me who avoid meat.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 med red capsicum, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (omit if you don't like spicy food)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder (I use Vegeta)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- mix cumin, chilli, and stock powder into 1.5 cups water; stir until well mixed
- heat oil in a large, deep fry pan
- add onion and capsicum; fry until soft (~5 mins)
- Add garlic, corn, and black beans; stir until heated (~2mins)
- add spice/water mix, tomatoes, and rice to the pan (salt + pepper to taste)
- stir, bring to boil, and simmer to reduce for ~20 mins, or until rice is soft.
The original recipe I found didn't include the stock, and melted jack cheese through as the final step. My family like to sprinkle shredded tasty cheese on top, or sometimes some yoghurt if it's spicy.
I like to serve this up using mini tortilla boats!