Red Lentil Dal
Of all the many types of lentils, red lentis have the advantage of being very quick to cook.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 can (400g) crushed tomato
- 2 tbps ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 onion; diced finely
- 1 green chilli; diced finely (I use Jalapeño chillis)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- lemon juice
- wash your lentils; rinse several times until water is clear
- put lentils and turmeric in water, bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes. (this can be overlapped with the following)
- in a sauté pan on medium-low heat, melt ghee
- add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and cinnamon. sauté until seeds stop popping
- add onion, chilli, and salt; stir and sautee until onions are translucent
- add ginger garlic paste; saute for 30 seconds, until aromatic
- add cardamom powder, paprika; mix and saute for 30 seconds
- add tomato; mix well, and simmer until oil separates
- remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- from the lentils, drain any water above the lentil line; add lentils and remaining water to sauce.
- stir, add a splash of lemon juice, and allow to reduce to desired thickness.
Serve alone, with flat bread, or over rice.