I adapted this from a rather bad recipe in a book a friend gifted me.
The book version recommended whole tablespoons of spices, which was quite overwhelming.
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 onion
- 1 long green chilli
- 2 tbsp ginger+garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Kasmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp concentrated tomato paste
- put the dal into a pot with 2L (8 cups) of water, and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes. keep about 350ml of the water when you strain these.
- roughly chop the onion and chilli, and blend, together with the ginger+garlic paste.
- in a sauté pan on medium-low heat, melt ghee
- add the cumin seeds; wait until they start crackling
- add onion/chilli paste, and fry
- add the rest of the spices; fry for 1 minute
- add the tomato paste; mix well
- add dal and water
- simmer for 10 minutes